Pony Community Centers offer family activities
Independent School District 834 schools are opening to a wider audience than students and staff.
The district will open local schools as Pony Community Centers offering activities for all ages. Making district facilities available to all local residents is part of the school district’s Bridge to Excellence five-year-strategic plan.
The Pony Community Center initiative begins Saturday at the Early Childhood Family Center (ECFC) with an Open Gym from 9 to 11:30 a.m. for toddlers and preschoolers and their families. Interested families can register online at www.stillwaterschools.org/PCAC. for free entry.
Fall and winter have weekly opportunities for community members to participate in a variety of activities. Some events are sponsored by PowerUp and Lakeview Health and will have additional games, activities, prizes and more. Many activities are free, participants just need to register in advance online at www.stillwaterschools.org/PCAC. Registration is available at the door, however a nominal fee will be charged and entry to some activities will be on a space available basis.
Schools open on select days and times and the activities they offer are:
- Stillwater Junior High School (SJHS) on select Friday nights will open the gyms and swimming pool for family activities.
- Oak-Land Junior High School (OLJHS) on select Thursday nights, community members can come for Family Swim in the pool, stroll the indoor hall walking route, or use fitness equipment in the school’s new weight room.
- Early Childhood Family Center (ECFC) on select Saturday mornings has open gym activities designed for toddlers and preschoolers and their families. The ECFC gym will be open and staff will offer movement and exploration specifically desigend with the youngest learners.
- Stillwater Area High School (SAHS) has indoor walking available most Monday throughout Thursday evenings.
These activities begin in October and continue through December. An up-to-date online calendar is available at stillwaterschools.org/PCAC and the October activities are as follows:
- Saturday: Open Gym for Toddlers/Preschoolers and their families, ECFC, 9 to 11:30 a.m.
- Monday-Thursday: Open indoor walking, SAHS, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Oct. 14-16 and 21-24: Open indoor walking SAHS 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Oct. 24: Family swim, hall walking, weight rooom, fitness equipment O-LJHS, 7 to 8:30 p.m.
- Oct. 25: Fun Fridays: Open Gym and Open Swim featuring PowerUp SJHS 6 to 8:30 p.m.
- Oct. 28-31: Open indoor walking SAHS 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.