Community

Dan Schwarz of Lift Bridge Brewing Co. drove a cart in the 2014 Stillwater Log Jam soap box derby. The camera on board captured the run — and the crash into hay bales at the end. The soap box derby was once a tradition for children at the city’s Lumberjack Days festival. Log Jam organizers [...]

facebook icon
twitter icon
comments icon

I have a poster hanging on my refrigerator that reads, “Summer Schedule” inside a neon yellow sunshine. In color-coded fashion, it lists the basic structure of our days: 10:30 snack. 1:00 swim. 8:00 hard liquor and forgiveness. It was meant to be my wing-man, my back-up for food and computer nagging. “Well, when does the [...]

facebook icon
twitter icon
comments icon

One of Stillwater Library Director Lynne Bertalmio’s earliest book-related memories is of Robert McCloskey’s “Blueberries for Sal” — she hated the illustrations. “It’s funny what you remember and don’t remember about your childhood,” Bertalmio said. Later, the “Nancy Drew” mysteries sucked her into the world of literature, where she’s still content today. Growing up in [...]

facebook icon
twitter icon
comments icon

Oh how the times have changed. In 1950, eight in 10 households were occupied by married couples. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, that number declined to 51.7 percent. The balance is singles and couples living together who are not married. The former includes individuals who either live alone or with roommates; the latter encompasses [...]

facebook icon
twitter icon
comments icon

“I wanted to be a butterfly.” Harper Blando exuberantly showed off her glitter and rainbow butterfly face paint at Summer Tuesdays in downtown Stillwater on July 15. Throughout the summer, Gazette reporter Alicia Lebens is taking photos representing the best of summer in the St. Croix Valley.

facebook icon
twitter icon
comments icon
up arrow
up arrow