Bayport police are advising residents there have been several bear sightings in the past week. A bear has been seen in the area of Third Street South, Lakeside Park, Point Road and the Andersen Window Corporation property. Police say the solo bear appears to be an adolescent that is curious and/or searching for food.
Residents of Stillwater have also reported multiple bear sightings in recent weeks.
The DNR urges those who live in areas where bears have been sighted to:
• Take in bird feeders at night or eliminate them eliminate them entirely.
• Avoid leaving garbage outdoors.
•Avoid feeding pets outdoors, and don’t leave pet food outside at night.
• Keep garbage cans tightly closed and occasionally clean them with ammonia.
• Never approach or attempt to feed a bear. Go inside and give the bear room to leave.
• Keep dogs and animals inside.