S. St. Paul man sentenced after attempted theft from Stillwater car dealer

A South St. Paul man pleaded guilty to felony attempted theft of a motor vehicle in Washington County Court June 26. Jeremy Matthew Lindell, 30, was sentenced to one year and one day in prison and an $85 fee.

Lindell was arrested on June 3, 2013, after the Stillwater Police Department was dispatched to 1987 Industrial Blvd. Stillwater, with a report of a possible stolen vehicle. The officer was informed that the suspect, later identified as Lindell, involved in the attempted theft was a male in a red hooded sweatshirt on foot walking away from the vehicle.

The officer arrived and found the vehicle. He then approached the vehicle and observed various tools inside, including wrenches and screwdrivers lying on the floor. He also observed that the ignition had been removed and had wires dangling from the steering column. The officer met with the complainant, who stated that he had watched the male suspect exit the vehicle, which was in a Cooper Motors lot.

The officer then drove along the east side of Cooper Motors but was flagged down again by the complainant who pointed out the suspect.

Lindell was placed under arrest and transported to the Washington County Jail. At that time, Lindell admitted he attempted to take the vehicle and start it using a screwdriver. He claims it was for someone else and that he did not know the vehicle was stolen but thought it might be. He indicated that the thought the vehicle would not start because the battery was dead.

Further investigation with the individuals at Cooper Motors found that multiple vehicles had damage. It appeared that someone had tried to break into them at the same time or shortly before law enforcement responded.

Lindell has 35 prior arrests, most of them warrants, and at least one escape from custody. Additionally, Lindell has multiple theft convictions out of Dakota County from March 2, 2004, a theft of motor vehicle conviction from April 11, 2006, and possession of burglary tools from April 11, 2006. The maximum possible sentence Lindell could have received was five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.