City of Stillwater
ORDINANCE NO. 1065
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING CHAPTERS 38 AND 52
OF THE STILLWATER CITY CODE
The City Council of the City of Stillwater does ordain:
1. AMENDING. Section 38-3 Subdivision 1 is amended by redefining the term noise to read as follows:
Noise means any unwanted sound not occurring in the natural environment, including, but not limited to, sounds originating from streets and highways, industrial, commercial, and residential sources. Where a sound measurement is specified, the sound shall be Sound to be measured by a sound level meter (SLM) having characteristics as specified in the latest standards, 51.4 of the American Standards Institute. Calibration of SLM shall be at least second stage traceable to the national bureau of standards.
2. AMENDING. Section 38-3 Subdivision 2 is amended to add a general prohibition for unreasonably disturbing, injurious, or endangering noise to read as follows:
Subd. 2. General Prohibition
No person shall make, cause, or allow to be made any distinctly and loudly audible noise that unreasonably disturbs, injures or endangers the safety, health, comfort, peace, or repose of a reasonable person, or precludes their enjoyment of property. This prohibition is not limited by the specific prohibitions contained in the following subdivisions. It is not a violation of this provision to operate specified equipment in keeping with the restrictions of Subdivision 4, below.
3. AMENDING. Section 38-3 is amended to renumber Subdivision 2-7 as Subdivision 3-8, to accommodate the addition of a new Subdivision 2, as seen above.
4. AMENDING. Chapter 52 is amended by adding Section 52-18, which will read as follows:
Section 52-18: Public Urination and Defecation
Subd. 1 Prohibition
It is unlawful for any person to urinate or defecate on any public street, alley, sidewalk or floor of any public building or of any building where the public gathers or has access, or in any other place, whether public or private, where such act could be observed by any member of the public, except in such place that has been designated as a restroom.
Subd. 2 Exclusions
Enforcement of this section shall not apply to those who, either due to age or to a verifiable medical condition, may be unable to adequately control the bodily functions that control urination or defecation.
Subd. 3 Penalty
Violation of this section shall be a misdemeanor.
5. SAVING. Except for the change, the City Code will remain in full force and effect.
6. EFFECTIVE DATE. This ordinance will be in full force and effect from and after its passage and publication according to law.
Enacted by the City Council of the City of Stillwater this 6th day of May, 2014.
CITY OF STILLWATER
/s/ Ken Harycki
Ken Harycki, Mayor
/s/ Diane F. Ward
Diane F. Ward, City Clerk
5/9/14, Stillwater Gazette, Ordinance 1065, 218379
City of Stillwater