Work to create a WIS 35 overpass over the future WIS 64 on the Wisconsin side of the river triggered a detour starting March 17. The detour routes drivers on WIS 35 In Houlton east along County Highway E to County Highway V and south to rejoin WIS 35 at River Road.
On the Minnesota side, 2014 construction work will include reconstruction of highways 36 ad 95, as well as frontage roads. It will also include utility installation and trail construction. According to MnDOT, access to businesses and residences will be available at all times throughout construction. Detours for specific short-term closures will be posted as soon as available.
According to MnDOT, here is the construction planned for spring to mid-summer 2014:
• Reconstruct Highway 36 westbound lanes — Single lane traffic in each direction on existing eastbound lanes from east of Washington Aveue/Norell Avenue to Hwy 95.
• Reconstruct the North Frontage Road, between Northwestern Avenue and Osgood Avenue — Traffic on gravel condition, access to businesses may change depending on the location of construction.
• Reconstruct South Frontage Road between Osgood Avenue and Club Tara — Traffic on gravel condition; access to businesses may change depending on the location of construction.
• Reconstruct Greeley Street South between Shelton Drive and Highway 36 — Traffic shifts will occur depending on the location of construction.
• Reconstruct Osgood Avenue just north of Highway 36 — Traffic shifts will occur depending on the location of construction.
• Reconstruct Highway 95 north of Highway 36 — Traffic shifts will occur depending on the location of construction.
• Six-day closure of both the Osgood Avenue and Greeley Sttreet intersections between Highway 36 and the North Frontage Road — Both intersections will never be closed at the same time. Northbound and southbound traffic will not have access to/from Highway 36; however, eastbound and westbound traffic — on Hwy 36 and the North Frontage Road — will flow normally.
A 2014 construction schedule is available at tinyurl.com/2014bridgeschedule.
A Power Point presentation and more information is also available at dot.state.mn.us/stcroixcrossing.
Compiled by Jonathan Young – firstname.lastname@example.org