BY BRENT PETERSON – GUEST COLUMNIST
Most cities in the country have some sort of notable building or landmark. In St. Paul there is the Capitol and the Landmark Center. In Stillwater you could point at the Lift Bridge or the Lowell Inn. It was the same when Stillwater was an early lumber center; one of the most prominate landmarks at that time in the city was the Minnesota House Hotel.
The Minnesota House was constructed as a private residence at the corner of Main and Chestnut Streets by Stillwater pioneer Elam Greeley in 1846. After enclosing and roofing the building, it stood vacant for about a year when it was purchased by Orange Walker and Samuel Judd of Marine, who finished the structure as a hotel. A sign was placed atop the building calling the new hotel the “Minesota House” with the name Minnesota misspelled. Walker and Judd then rented the hotel to Harley Curtis to operate.
Want to read more? Pick up a copy of the Nov. 8, 2013, edition the Gazette at newsstands or our office at 1931 Curve Crest Blvd., Stillwater.