Summer ends in two weeks but the celebrations keep on rolling this weekend throughout the St. Croix Valley.
On Sunday, Oak Park Heights hosts its Party in the Park from 1 to 3 p.m. at Brekke Park.
“It’s going to be a free, fun time for kids and families,” said City clerk Jennifer Pinski.
The event feature live music, ice cream and a bounce house for the kids. Local businesses will also be present to provide food and give away free stuff to those who attend.
In past years, Oak Park Heights held Party in the Park in conjuction with Stillwater’s Nite to Unite event in early August. But earlier this year, the Oak Park Heights City Council voted to hold the city’s event the Sunday after Labor Day in hopes that cooler weather would boost attendance.
Lake Elmo kicks off the event-filled weekend with Lake Elmo Days. The two-day event started as an anniversary celebration for the Lake Elmo Fire Department and has turned into a weekend communitywide festival.
A new battle of the bands highlights tonight’s festival opener, with eight bands taking the stage to compete in the event. Another new feature is a Community Talent showcase from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday. This year’s festival also marks the return of Fury Motors complimentary pancake breakfast from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday.
The festival parade marches down Main Street at noon and is followed by a local business and organization expo, silent auction, Everybody Wins Children’s Pet Show, stick pony rodeo and public safety and fire safety demonstrations. Saturday evening features a $3 per person pig roast dinner and live music.
Other events this weekend are:
- Minnesota Responsible Dog Ownership Day from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Washington County Fairgrounds in Baytown Township. The St. Croix Valley Kennel Club event offers a variety of activites for dogs and their owners.
- Paint on the Water Hip-Hop Festival from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday in Stillwater’s Pioneer Park. The free educational festival brings the diverse hip-hop culture to the Valley through aerosol art, B-Boy-ing, B-Girl-ing, MC-ing and DJ-ng with the use of guest artists, residents and students.l
- Grant Heritage Days from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Gasthaus Bavarian Hunter Restaurant. The festival features its popular antique vehicle and tractor parade and this year, also recognizes the 150th anniversary of the Civil War.
- 11th Annual Grape Stomp from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at St. Croix Vineyards, 6342 Manning Ave. in Stillwater. Win prizes in the grape-stomping competition
- Washington County Bluegrass Festival from 3 to 7 p.m. Saturday at the Lake Elmo Park Reserve. This year’s festival features four local bluegrass bands. in and outdoor setting perfect for large groups and families. Free with valid $5 daily or $25 annual vehicle permit.