Fire damages Stillwater residence

Improper electrical wiring may have sparked a fire Monday night that caused an estimated $35,000 worth of damage to a residence in the 500 block of Myrtle Street.

The home’s resident reported smelling smoke prior to calling the fire department. Upon arrival, fire crews found a fire in the home’s second story walls noticed smoke coming from an electrical outlet. After shutting power to the home, crews removed the outlet from the wall and discovered an active fire burning and extending through the wall to several areas of the home. The fire was brought under control within 15 minutes.

The resident said several of the home’s electrical outlets were not working and an electrician had been called to fix the problem. The caretaker of the residence and the electrician discovered possible fire.

No injuries were reported.

up arrow