Cigarette blamed for Myrtle Street house fire

A fire apparently caused by careless smoking on a couch late Wednesday damaged a home in the 400 block of Myrtle Street but caused no injuries, Stillwater Fire Department officials said.

Hours later, however, firefighters were called back to the home after a small fire re-ignited in the damaged couch that was sitting in the driveway of the residence.

SFD personnel were called about 10 p.m. Wednesday, said SFD Capt. Chris Zeuli. He added that it is believed that cigarette ash started a couch on fire.

“The fire started on the second floor bedroom and the room is a total loss, while the second floor has relatively small smoke and heat damage,” he said.

The home’s owner admitted that he was smoking on the couch about 30 minutes prior to the couch catching on fire. The blaze was put out and no injuries were reported, Zeuli said.

The damaged couch was removed from the house and placed in the driveway, but a passerby Thursday called the SFD to report that the couch had re-ignited. Firefighters returned and extinguished the blaze.

up arrow